Welllllp. I finally caught Covid this month. My husband and I have been able to dodge it for just over 3 1/2 years—having been on the more cautious end of the behavioral bell curve—but this summer surge came for us. This pandemic is awful but very thankfully we’re feeling better now, minus the odd coughing fit.
🌱 Digital Gardening
I disallowed Open AI’s GPTBot from crawling any of my sites’ content. Hidde’s blog post pretty much says it all.
- This idea generator fetches a random photo for Unsplash following the user’s filters for a photo topic and orientation. Very recently, the Unsplash API started returning an error for requests containing
orientation=any, instead of silently ignoring this (not-accepted) value as it did previously. I fixed the user filters so that if “Any” is selected for the topic or orientation, that parameter is not sent along in the request to the API. “Any” is the default value for both these filters, so fixing this meant un-borking the entire app. 👍🏼
- I removed the “Architecture” topic from the filters list, as it seems to have been deprecated. Requests using that topic weren’t returning relevant results.
The notification triggers API experiment was at some point deprecated. I was using these to send web notifications any time a seasonal holiday popped up throughout the year. I finally got around to replacing web notifications with a Google calendar.
I added support for content warnings, as well as backfilled a lot of highlights:
- Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer
- Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
- The Sentence by Louise Erdrich
- Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin
- In the Dream House by Carmen Maria Machado
- Enchantment by Katherine May
I sewed a zippered marker pouch! You can read about it on my fiber blog.
Work & Productivity
- Treat your to-read pile like a river, not a bucket
- Just do the thing
- The three-or-four-hours rule for getting creative work done
Art & Craft
- 4 Ways to Begin a Sketchbook Again by Overcoming Your Artist Shadow
- Stone-age toddlers had art lessons, study says
- 4 Tips for Designing Your Own Rug
- Make an Appointment With Yourself
- Patience With Everything Unresolved in Your Heart