Last updated: June 19, 2020
I’ll keep this simple: systemic racism has got to stop. Anti-Black police brutality has got to stop. Everyone should feel safe, respected, and able to go about their day unbothered. No one should need to assert their humanity. Black. Lives. Matter.
I am livid from the recent deaths of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, David McAtee…I am angry because instead of taking steps to solve the root problem, leadership calls out more force and further escalates the situation. I want us to be the generation that heals things.
The following are resources that you can contribute your money, time, attention, or skills to. I’ll update the list as I come across them and they seem legit. Please be alert for fake fundraisers: Minnesota Freedom Fund does not have a Venmo account. Thank you for supporting.
- ActBlue: split donations across orgs fighting racism and police brutality (may want to go directly through respective orgs / your giving portal if your company requires it for matching)
- Advancement Project
- The Bail Project
- The Marshall Project
- NAACP Legal Defense Fund
- National Police Accountability Project
- Unicorn Riot (encouraged by MFF)
May also have non-profit status, couldn't always clarify one way or the other
Refer also to the list of non-profits
- Brooklyn Community Bail Fund
- Louisville Community Bail Fund
- National Bail Fund Network
- Long list of vetted bail funds across the U.S.
Mutual Aid Funds
- Migizi Communications, an Indigenous youth organization whose building burned down in the fires (501(c)(3))
- We Love Lake Street (501(c)(3))
- 5 Calls: call U.S. reps to stop militarization of police
- Sign Reclaim the Block’s petition to defund MPLS police
- Stand with Bre: make calls and sign a petition for Breonna Taylor
- Collected links on how to help, including quite a few petitions
- An Antiracist Reading List
- 75 Things White People Can Do for Racial Justice
- Watch this powerful speech from Tamika Mallory
- Ways to support protestors from home
- Write and share alternative text for social media posts (e.g. text embedded in images), so that everyone can have access to critical information.
Support & Hire Black Professionals
- First, some food for thought: Why asking for a list won’t solve your racial disparities. Lists can’t replace the real work to support existing communities; build an inclusive network; and actually make work environments safe spaces.
- Black Game Devs
- Blacks Who Design
- People of Craft
Support Black-owned Businesses
- 45 Upcoming Books By Black Authors You Can Preorder Right Now
- Black Museums
- Black-Owned Bookstores
- Black-Owned Businesses: a loooong list covering many different industries!
- BLK + GRN: Black-owned health and wellness businesses
- Shoppe Black: this site also runs features on individuals and their businesses